M&F Talent is working with a client in the horticultural consumer products field that is looking to onboard an experienced Sales Manager to oversee sales activities in the Americas. Our client is internationally established in the hydroponics and horticulture industries with cutting-edge tech solutions for modern horticulture operations. Our client’s product base includes solutions for PH monitoring, water quality testing, environmental controls, and more.
The Sales Manager, North America is responsible for leading a geographically distributed sales team and an ecosystem of partners in profitably expanding channel and direct sales of our client’s hardware, software, and services within the continent’s horticultural industry, across crop types and growing environments. The key focus areas of this role are determining and executing strategies to achieve North American revenue and margin targets, managing channel partnerships, as well as guiding and motivating the sales team.
Location: United States (Home Office, Remote Work, 25% Travel)
• Provide continuous guidance, training, and motivation to the sales team in reaching business performance targets.
• Recruit and onboard new sales representatives as business needs warrant.
• Meet regularly with sales team members to follow up on leads.
• Identify skill gaps or resource needs for sales team and provide the tools and training critical to success.
• Route leads to channel partners and sales team members based on business rules, including territory assignments, and account ownership.
• Host regular meetings with sales and management team members to jointly overcome sales obstacles and to review KPI dashboards as well as opportunity pipeline and revenue figures to measure progress against monthly, quarterly, and annual targets.
• Ensure that the sales department collaborates with cross-functional teammates to achieve company objectives such as awareness building, demand creation, price policy adherence, product roadmap development, RMA management, and thought leadership.
• Pursue and provide access to professional development opportunities for all sales team members. Exchange market intelligence and selling techniques with team members for continuous performance improvement.
• Ensure that sales team activities are consistently tracked within the CRM.
• Oversee the team’s tradeshow and partner event participation, travel, and expenditures.
• Review historical performance and emergent opportunities to create sales targets and plans.
• Determine the ideal mix of go-to-market strategies and partners to achieve these targets.
• Keep the management and sales teams abreast of market and account-specific developments.
• Select new partners and develop existing partner relationships based on assessments of partners’ ability to predictably deliver revenue growth.
• Apply a consistent set of metrics, to be developed together with the management team, to evaluate and score channel partners on a quarterly basis.
• Co-develop annual partnership plans to achieve sales targets.
• Deliver regular product and sales training to channel partner sales, support and technical personnel, both in the field and online.
• Provide direction to the sales team in taking on account ownership of selected channel partner accounts.
• Secure the cooperation of partners in achieving their own and retailer-level compliance with policies related to marketing, pricing, and RMAs.
• Lead retailer-level demand-pull programs (i.e., Grower Success Program and Grower Workshop) in close coordination with channel partners.
• Lead the sales team in generating high-margin revenue from a growing pipeline of commercial growers who prefer to buy directly from client.
• In collaboration with Marketing, create sales proposals that demonstrate compelling value.
• Meet regularly with a wide cross-section of growers to maintain a solid understanding of the North American grower experience.
• Suggest and support employee engagement activities.
• BA Degree or equivalent professional experience in a related field.
• 5+ years of technical horticultural sales and channel management experience with proven ability to lead a team in meeting sales targets.
• Experience with channel partner management including setting and tracking partner-sourced revenue metrics.
• Familiarity with crop cultivation and horticultural marketplace basics preferred.
• Direct experience in recruiting, onboarding, and enabling channel partners to create a comprehensive partner ecosystem.
• Experience with managing opportunity pipelines, KPI dashboards, and deal-related activities within an enterprise CRM system.
• Passion for consultative/challenger sales coaching and cultivating the professional growth of sales team members.
• Comfortable with the technology tool set required to work remotely including video calls, collaboration and communication apps.
• Ability to embrace change and ambiguity that is continually required in expanding leadership in a rapidly growing industry.
• Experience with omnichannel and recurring revenue (e.g., SaaS) models desirable.
• Able to travel frequently, up to 25% of working hours, primarily within North America.