Cannabis Process Engineer (anywhere in US)
Our Site: HempStaff
You can live anywhere in the USA … Role: Lead Cannabis Science Consultant
Job Description: Perform the duties of a lead cannabis science consultant with a focus on process engineering on the pilot and commercial scales.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assisting clients with articulating product concepts into workable models.
• Design and implement cannabis processing trains including bulk drying, milling/processing, raw material transport, crude oil extraction, product transfer, refinement, separation, purification and packaging/handling based on client design parameters/project specifications.
• Design and implement cannabis product manufacturing trains including liquid filling systems, dry filling systems, volumetric filling systems, mass balance analysis, counting systems, packaging and labeling systems, bar-coding and inventory management systems, etc. based on client design parameters/project specifications.
• Travel to client facilities and perform process validation, initial equipment startup, and train employees.
• Participate/lead conference calls with clients.
• Liaise with client management/project contacts.
• Coordinate project timelines and scheduling of trips/on-site work.
• Creating process diagrams outlining all aspects of the project including flow-rates, volume of solvent/solution per cycle, cycle time, vessel size/type/purpose, etc. that clearly convey the process and steps/systems involved in producing each work-in-progress and final product.
• Creating accurate cost of goods analysis, production estimates, projected process/cycle times, financial models, budgetary requirements/commitments, staffing/personnel requirements/needs, etc. based on client design parameters/project specifications.
• Design facility layouts and the placement/location of key-pieces of equipment in relation to utilities, HVAC, future expansion, and logistical workflow and minimizing cross-contamination.
• Create standard operating procedures in compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices based on client target market requirements and/or international market requirements (e.g. cGMP, ISO 9001,9005,&20000, ICH Q7 through Q10).
• Create/establish/identify all hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) for each process/product, corrective actions and preventative actions (CAPA) for process deviations/out-of-specifications/incidents/etc., and critical quality attributes (CQA) for all work-in-progress and finished product.
• Identify, vet and source process equipment defined in each process train.
• Responsible for showing up on time; notifying management of any delays or sick days.
• Vacation days set up with manager ahead of time.
• Do not come to work sick.
• Have proper work attire for the various events, facilities, people and equipment involved in the current assignment: suit and tie, business casual, lab attire, scrubs, etc.
• Maintaining authorization to work in the cannabis industry:
Clean Background check.
Good Moral Character.
• Understanding your security access status:
Knowing where you can and cannot enter (to avoid cross contamination and minimize diversion).
Be up to date on security protocols/training (i.e. in case of fire).
• Coming to work sober! Intoxicated employees will be fired.
• Respecting fellow employees and keeping a positive, productive work environment.
• Following food-handling guidelines and good handling practices at all times when in contact with cannabis raw materials of any kind.
• Reporting work incidents to proper management.
• Letting production management know when you are taking a break.
• Follow standard operating procedures for the various cultivation, processing and administrative activities; clean work areas before and after each use.
• Education: Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in some field of science or engineering. Preferably in Chemistry, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or another similar scientific field.
• Can verify the candidate is 21 years of age or older.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) applicants strongly preferred.
• Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
• Effective time management and ability to multitask.
• Proficiency in Windows based software, inventory management and point-of-sale applications.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing and challenging environment.
• Thorough understanding of local, state, federal and international cannabis laws and how they apply to the client’s operations.
• Candidates must have general laboratory knowledge. Ability to handle delicate glassware and other processing equipment is required. Also, technical experience and skills are needed in order to work with complex equipment.
• Candidates must be able to work cohesively as a team with all personnel.
• Candidates must have the ability to function with little to no supervision.
• Candidates must have problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and good communication skills. Ability to analyze information and think critically.
• Candidates must have an aptitude for written and verbal communication. Report writing and data collecting are mandatory.
• Candidates must have strong time management and multi-tasking skills are required.
• Candidates must have the ability to pay attention to details as needed to complete measurements and analyses, enter data, etc. and to meet quality control requirements.
• Candidates must have the ability to follow standard operating procedures, adapt to changes and become incorporated into established daily routines.
• Candidates must have the ability to work sporadic hours; swing shifts and long days are possible as well as weekend and holiday work.
• Candidates must be physically able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs and stand for long hours (10 hrs. or more). Must have stamina and manual dexterity. This is a very physical job.
• Candidates must be cannabis friendly and passion about the cannabis industry.
• Candidate must have extensive managerial, research and industry experience and familiarity with grant writing, research and fundraising.
• Candidate must have advanced training in business and extensive experience within their specific scientific field.
• Candidate must have the ability to apply business and management strategies to research and laboratory settings.
• Candidate must have extensive industry, research and management experience.
• Candidate must have at least four years of experience in a position with managerial experience and responsibilities.
• Candidate must have at least four years of experience managing and operating a commercial scale (i.e. processes more than 100 kgs per year.) cannabis extraction/product manufacturing facility.
• Candidate must have the ability to work in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment.
• Candidate must be analytically and communicatively intelligent.
• Candidate must have the ability to take unqualified responsibility for the company while maintaining a problem-solving, vision-based attitude.
• Candidate must have market and political knowledge.
• Candidate must have the ability to focuses simultaneously on short- and long-term goals and to identify problems quickly.
• Candidate must have experienced in a leadership role.
• Candidate must have at least four years of experience in a position with managerial and inventory responsibilities.
• Candidate must have experience with an inventory system.
• Professional experience in pharmaceutical, food or manufacturing industries preferred.
• Strong communication and leadership qualities. Exhibits a sense of urgency when necessary. Ability to direct, coach, support, and delegate tasks to the company management, administration, and agent teams.
• Ability to issue and explain instructions effectively.
• Demonstrated experience in a position requiring critical-thinking, problem-solving, planning and assessment.
• Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
• Candidates must have an adequate handle on all aspects of botanical raw material processing and product manufacturing and quality assurance and control protocols, and at least a working knowledge of cannabis/cannabinoid science including but not limited to extractions, formulation and medicine production.
• Experience working in a professional manufacturing setting and comfortable working with chemicals, production and laboratory equipment, and regulated substances is a must.
• Candidates must have the ability to lead a team.
• Candidates must have at least four years of experience in a position with laboratory and
extraction and product manufacturing experience and responsibilities.
Location of Job:
• Anywhere in the USA.
• This job will involve telecommuting and on-site assignments.
• Mobility is important.
• The amount of on-site work is unknown and negotiable.
When applying please articulate the scale of operations or the level of involvement in the development and implementation of the described processes. We are looking for someone who is comfortable working at every level of processing/manufacturing (i.e. bench scale (a few grams) and commercial scale (+1000 kg per day)), and who is capable of designing a custom process from scratch to match the scale of operations for our clients. We need someone who is familiar with process design engineering and practical application of Good Manufacturing Practices and Quality Management Systems for botanical drug substances and pharmaceutical manufacturing.
We don’t just need an extractor. We need someone with extensive chemical engineering, process design and validation, implementation and training, and scale-up/commercialization experience, who has run a processing facility/lab in a highly regulated environment.
We are working with clients processing 5 metric tons per day and producing 10 metric tons of CBD isolate a month. However, we are also working with clients on the bench scale and pilot scale. What we are looking for is an individual with a breadth of knowledge covering different processing and product manufacturing methodologies/systems/equipment on various scales of operation, who has actually worked with these systems in the past and has proven processes and methods that do not require R&D or validation on the commercial scale.
Candidates need to be able to travel to different markets and get credentialed in each market where our clients are active. Candidates need to be able to work on-site for up to 30 days or longer. Candidates must have a valid passport and have the ability to acquire working visas and security clearances as necessary.
Previous cannabinoid extraction experience is NOT a must. However, previous experience with similar terpenophenolic secondary metabolites and/or highly volatile oleoresin compounds is a must. Preferably this experience would include taking multiple projects from the bench scale to the commercial scale.
Looking to HIRE ASAP!
Job Salary Competitive and very dependent on how soon candidate can work independently.
How to Apply
Email your resume to email@example.com with ‘Extractor Resume’ in the subject.